Sunday, September 5, 2010

Kale Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing

I have been following the weight loss plan I mentioned in my post of August 25th fairly well.  I'm tracking everything I eat and the approximate number of calories, focusing on high nutrient whole foods and avoiding processed foods almost completely.  So far I have lost about 2 pounds in the last 10 days, so I think I will make some adjustments to try to speed things up a bit.  Exercising for only 15 minutes at a time doesn't seem to be doing too much and I am still not mentally into the high intensity weight workouts, so I will notch that up to 30 minutes of cardio and light weight training at least 4 times per week.  Also, I may have been overdoing the nuts and seeds a bit.

I love green salads, especially at this time of year, and will be increasing that portion of the diet.  I may need to stay a little closer to the Eat to Live diet which is primarily low starch veggies and a little lighter on the fat levels, although we do need healthy fats in order to absorb fat soluable vitamins and to get our good omega fats which have great health benefits.  I am looking for a weight loss plan that burns body fat relatively quickly without leaving that worn-out starvation feeling.  So far I feel very good and have lots of energy.

Speaking of green salads, I came across a recipe for kale salad that was easy to make and very delicious.  I tweeked it a little for my own taste, adding more ginger and substituting sesame oil in place of some of the tahini sauce.  Below is my version of the recipe. Fresh ginger really makes this salad extra yummy!

Fresh Kale Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing

2 bunches of organic kale (no pesticides!)
2 tbsp tahini dressing/dip
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 inch section of fresh ginger root, peeled
2 rounded tsp crushed garlic
4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
Juice of 1 small lemon
3 tbsp honey or other natural sweetener
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
 
Wash kale and lay flat on paper towels; pat dry with additional towels. Strip the leafy part from the stems with fingers. Chop washed and deveined kale into strips by layering several leaves one on top of the other and thinly slicing. Slice again crosswise to get smaller pieces.

Blend dressing ingredients in blender or food processor to make a smooth puree.  If it tastes a little too tangy for you, add more honey or your favorite natural sweetener. Pour dressing over kale and toss to combine thoroughly. Let the salad sit for ten or twenty minutes to marinate. Toss again just before serving.  Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for several days.

This dressing is also good served with spinach or other dark green leafy veggies. 




No comments:

Post a Comment